A Guide to Claiming Against a Private Doctor

Although the NHS has a fairly simple complaints procedure, getting the response that you deserve can be more complex when you are using a private doctor or service. If you are unhappy with the care that you have received from a private healthcare provider and you want to start claiming against a doctor, this guide will help you by outlining the correct steps to take.

1.   Send a Complaint to the Hospital or Practice

This first thing you should do to start claiming against a doctor is take your complaint to the managerial sector of your hospital or practice. The best time to do this is when you are still in hospital or currently receiving care from a service, as this will allow any problems to be remedied and the care that you are receiving to be investigated. This can take the form of an oral or written complaint, especially if your grievances have gone unheeded. If you are unhappy with the investigation that is taken, however, you may have to consider issuing a complaint via other avenues to get the response that you are looking for.

2.   Complain with a Written Letter to Your Provider

When you receive private healthcare, this will usually be done via monthly payments to a private insurance company which then provides the means for you to get the care you need. Your insurance company will be able to study the policy you have in place to check if your treatment and care has been in breach of any terms. They will also be able to take action if the care that you received did not meet the expectations of the policy, or if it was not what you agreed upon with the insurance company in question.

3.   Speak to the Right Complaints Councils

If you wish to take your complaint to another organisation, you should consider speaking to the right councils which have been created specifically to manage complaints with medical services. These bodies are responsible for monitoring the state of healthcare given by both private and public healthcare. For instance, the General Medical Council, which manages the services of doctors, can take on cases of misconduct by doctors. Moreover, the Independent Sector Complaints Adjudication covers many private healthcare services and the Financial Ombudsman Service can look into complaints that relate to problems with administration.

4.   Employ a Lawyer

If you are still unable to get the resolution that you want, you should employ a lawyer who can help you work out your potential compensation and further understand the nature of your claim. The Medical Negligence Experts only works with legal firms who operate on a No Win, No Fee basis. It is important to consult with a solicitor, as they are experienced in these matters and can help you achieve your desired outcome by representing you in court or in negotiations with the other side for a number of issues, such as misdiagnosis and medical negligence in the private healthcare industry. Although going to court and allowing a judge to decide the compensation and solution of your case can be daunting, the specialist legal firms we work with can help to calm your fears with their professional and expert legal advice.