Unsuccessful Weight Loss Compensation Claims
If you have struggled with your weight and suffered from poor health as a result, you may have expected your weight loss surgery to give you a chance to lose weight and feel better. While there are significant risks associated with having bariatric surgery – or any surgery – when you are significantly overweight, skilled surgeons and their medical teams should manage these effectively. Unfortunately, errors happen, both in NHS hospital and private clinics, which can cause injury and suffering.
What is Unsuccessful Weight Loss Compensation?
Bariatric surgery – the clinical name for weight loss surgery – negligence can refer to a number of situations such as:
- Failing to fully inform a patient of the risk of complications of weight loss surgery and the potential outcomes, and obtaining informed consent.
- Inadequately assessing a patient to confirm their suitability for surgery.
- Surgical errors such as fitting a stomach band to the wrong part of the stomach or at a poor angle, or failing to seal joins in a bypass correctly leading to leakage.
- Using an inappropriate bypass procedure, or using bypass where a band would be better for the patient.
- Carrying out a different type of weight loss surgery to what was agreed.
Although patients should always investigate and understand the potential risks and side effects of their surgery, it is also the surgeon’s task to ensure that they do. Negligence does not cause all failed weight loss surgery, but a patient needs to be aware of risks so they can make an informed decision.
How Can We Help?
Lawyers at The Medical Negligence Experts have experience of handling all types of medical negligence claims, including those relating to bariatric surgery. We understand that our clients approach us because they have received inadequate treatment at a time when they were vulnerable. Putting your trust in a medical professional and have them breach that duty of care can affect the rest of your life. Our job is to help minimise that by helping you get the compensation you deserve.
The person at the heart of every claim we handle is an individual with unique circumstances, so we understand no claim is the same as another. You can expect, however, that yours will follow these four main steps.
- Identifying just causes for a claim, proving that not only did you suffer negligent treatment, but that this resulted in your injury. We will conduct a thorough investigation to show that the standard of care you received fell below what would reasonably be expected from any other similar professionals. It can take several months to collate this information, and we may involve an independent medical expert to assess your condition and experience.
- Making a claim to the other party requesting they acknowledge responsibility for your negligent care and compensate you accordingly. There will be a period of waiting while they conduct their investigation but we will keep you informed during this time.
- Receiving an offer from the responsible party, acknowledging their failure in their duty of care and setting out the terms of compensation. We normally enter into a period of negotiation at this point, as often the first offer is below what we believe to be fair. Depending on your circumstances, we may ask for an interim payment to help cover short-term expenses such as additional surgery or nursing care.
- If the other party denies liability, or they refuse to offer appropriate compensation, we will submit your claim to court and continue negotiations. The majority of compensation claims conclude before reaching trial, and we will continue to support and update you during the process.
Contact The Medical Negligence Experts today and find out how we can help you claim compensation.
Need some help?
Am I eligible?
If you have suffered from medical negligence in the past 3 years, the short answer is yes.
However, medical negligence can be complicated, so we recommend that you speak with one of our expert solicitors - It’s Free.
How much could I claim?
As every medical case is different, the amount of compensation paid out can differ. Varying factors lead to the final figure include: the level of negligence, earnings missed out on, future losses and more.
Our experienced team of experts will give you an indication of how much you could potentially claim.
How does the process work?
We understand that when making a claim it’s important to know what to expect and when to expect it. That’s why we make the process as transparent as possible.
Your solicitor will gather all the evidence and will notify the negligent party of your claim. With your dedicated solicitor negotiating on your behalf, you will be kept up to date every step of the way.
Why should you choose us?
No Win No Fee
We offer a No Win No Fee* service on all our claims - We assess each claim on its merits with the information provided, which aids us to determine its likely success rate. This takes the risk away from you.
Expert, Friendly Solicitors
Our experienced solicitors are experts in securing compensation no matter the level of negligence.
We are committed to securing the best possible outcome for you, while providing friendly support every step of the way.
Personal Dedicated Lawyers
On contact, you will be allocated your own expert Medical Negligence solicitor who will be there every step of the way. You will be provided with a direct phone number and direct email address of your solicitor.
Expert weightloss claims solicitors working for you
We specialise in helping victims of medical negligence claim the compensation they deserve.
We work on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning if we don’t win your case, you don’t pay! Once you make contact, your experienced solicitor will work to recover the maximum compensation you are entitled to.
Whether you are ready to make a medical negligence claim, or you would just like a free conversation with a legal professional, we have experts on hand to give you all the information you need. Take the first step to getting what you deserve by filling in our quick contact form and we will call you back whenever suits you.